Cornerstone Hydro Electric Concepts
Operations Health & Safety Position
June 16, 2020
Position Title: Operations Health & Safety Specialist (Full-time contract)
Position Summary: Under the direction of the President, this position is responsible for providing Operations and Health & Safety support to Association members, which are currently 19 local distribution companies (LDCs) in Ontario. This position provides leadership and coordination of safety requirements, in a collaborative environment, to maintain Health & Safety compliance within CHEC’s Operations portfolio and our individual members.
Although we are looking for a full-time candidate, there is a possibility for this to be a part time role for a retired or a semi-retired, field operations individual who has knowledge of the Health and Safety requirements of a distribution company.
While our main office is located in Barrie, our team operates from virtual, home-based offices, and we stay connected through regular meetings and the use of a wide variety of technology.
CHEC is a progressive Association providing support services to local electrical distribution companies in Ontario. Full details of the Association can be found at checenergy.ca.
Reports To: The position reports to the CHEC President.
Direct Reports: The position does not have direct reports.
- Provide Health & Safety support and direction to Association Members.
- Remain current on changes in Health & Safety legislation or direction and communicate the changes to Association Members and recommend potential actions;
- Lead the Operations portfolio including organizing and facilitating meetings, Steering Committees and working groups;
- Provide assistance, guidance and recommendations on implementation of Health & Safety policies and procedures;
- Provide direction and facilitate training to ensure appropriate competency training as required by Association Members;
- Organize Health & Safety seminars for Association Members on an annual basis;
- Work with Association Members to identify potential hazards and determine controls to mitigate the identified risks;
- Oversee special projects as required;
- Review member LDC operations for compliance (future duties and as requested);
- Provide Health and Safety guidance to the Association;
- Complete other duties and responsibilities assigned by the President.
- Certificate in Health & Safety;
- Minimum 3 to 5-years of experience in a Health & Safety environment, preferably within the electrical distribution industry;
- Familiar with Health & Safety legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of utility field operations and the applicable Health & Safety policies and procedures;
- Excellent interpersonal skills for successful interaction with a diverse group including regulators, members, associates, and suppliers;
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct and to work independently while remaining adaptable to change;
- Project management skills with demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and set priorities to achieve timely completion of work;
- Comfortable with a distributed work model and the use of technology to facilitate continuous collaboration;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated presentation skills;
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively with people in confidence;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft office and equivalent programs;
- Valid Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing and reliable vehicle for travel.
Authority Given: To use judgement in completing work and to identify the need for special projects or resources.
Other Requirements: The position will require travel to member LDCs or meeting locations with overnight stays. Personal transportation is required for travel to these various locations with expenses to be covered as per the CHEC Travel and Expense Policy.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- The position will require travel to member LDC facilities or meeting locations with overnight stays. Personal transportation is required for travel to these various locations with expenses to be covered as per the CHEC Travel and Expense Policy
- Physical demands require no undue fatigue regarding sitting, standing and walking.
- Frequent travel to Committee Meetings and LDC sites.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to [email protected] by July 10, 2020, with ‘Operations Health & Safety Position’ in the subject line.