Cornerstone Hydro Electric Concepts
GIS Technician (Shared Resource)
December 6, 2022
Cornerstone Hydro Electric Concepts Association (CHEC) is a collaborative non-profit association currently supporting 15-member Local Distribution Companies (LDCs) in Ontario. By sharing experience, knowledge and resources, CHEC supports its members to remain as active members of their communities, deliver value to their shareholders, provide safe, efficient, and cost-effective electricity distribution to their customers, and prepare for the energy future.
CHEC is excited to announce a new service for our members and is seeking a unique individual to provide GIS Technical support and expertise to a selection of CHEC’s members.
CHEC provides extensive regulatory, health and safety, communication, human resource/labour relations and operational support and services as well as being a forum for members to work collaboratively to realize efficiencies of scale and share best practices.
Current members include: Centre Wellington Hydro Ltd., ERTH Power Corp., Fort Frances Power Corp., Grimsby Power, InnPower Corp., Lakefront Utilities Inc., Lakeland Power Distribution Ltd., Niagara–on- the-Lake Hydro, Orangeville Hydro Ltd., Ottawa River Power Corp., Renfrew Hydro Inc., Rideau St. Lawrence Distribution Inc., Tillsonburg Hydro, Wasaga Distribution Inc., and Wellington North Power Inc.
Vision: To stand together as one, ensuring independent communities thrive today and in the future.
Mission: We equip members with insights, expertise, and shared resources to sustain safe, resilient communities in a changing world.
Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician
Informed by CHEC’s mission and vision statements and service values, the GIS Technician reports to CHEC’s President / CEO and plays a critical role in supporting CHEC’s members by providing technical expertise to a selection of CHEC’s members to develop, administer, maintain and analyze the GIS, CAD and associated data supports, producing custom thematic maps, diagrams, schematics and reports. Additionally, the individual supports the development and maintenance of related Asset Management Programs through the collection, input, verification, analysis, maintenance, interpretation and evaluation of field asset data.
Key accountabilities include:
- Providing onsite and remote GIS Technical Expertise to specific selection of CHEC members.
- Creates, edits, reviews and maintains data in the GIS, ensuring data integrity and efficiency of the data sets within the spatial database.
- Inventory of electronic repositories of legal documents and permits such as easements, land leases, MTO highway encroachments, joint use agreements, rail crossing agreements, land use permits, etc., as it pertains to the GIS.
- Implement, configure and maintain the ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro and Enterprise suite of applications for supporting Online and the new ESRI Utility Network solution
- Plan and coordinate the acquisition, development and administration of the GIS hardware, software, integration, data, resources, processes and procedures.
- Develops individual action plan with goals and timelines based on established time allotted to each member.
- Strong commitment to and works in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Safety Act and the regulations, and any other pertinent regulations to promote a health and safe workplace for all.
Work is executed remotely, in your home-based office with frequent travel to LDC sites, and other public / private facilities within Ontario.
- A strategic thinker, with the ability to link long range visions and concepts to daily work.
- A self-motivated individual with the ability to hold yourself accountable to meet various deadlines while working on multiple projects for various stakeholders.
- Adept at project management, highly analytical and pay attention to detail.
- Customer service oriented, with a high level of interpersonal understanding and skill, enabling successful outcomes for the projects you are assigned / identify.
- A loyal employee and possess organizational awareness and commitment, which assists you in delivering results.
- A team player, recognizing your place in the team with the ability to work with multiple stakeholders across multiple jurisdictions.
- Able to attend public and private facilities in compliance with Ontario’s vaccine mandates and the policies of various members and stakeholders.
- GIS Certificate or Diploma with a focus on GIS Applications
- Engineering Technologist Diploma or working towards CET designation is considered an asset.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in the application and administration of ArcGIS and Web GIS technology.
- Demonstrated proficiency in GIS platforms working within electricity distribution systems, drawing and technologies.
- Demonstrated experience with efficient implementation of GIS system software upgrades.
- Demonstrated experience with customer information and outage management support systems.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Effective Communication – ability to understand and work from oral and written instructions, field notes and sketches, and ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form with a variety of stakeholders.
- Clear criminal record – the position has access to significant sensitive, financial and confidential information.
- A valid Class “G” driver’s license and reliable transportation to travel to various member facilities and public meeting locations within Ontario.
- Flexibility in work hours / extended hours when necessary, including overnight stays.
Join our Team!
CHEC offers competitive compensation and benefits, and while CHEC employees work from remote, home-based offices we boast a collaborative team-based environment and culture.
If you enjoy a challenging role with a work from home model that includes a significant amount of autonomy, variety, and travel with overnight stays please visit https://checenergy.ca/ to learn more about CHEC and click here to view the complete position description including key accountabilities of the role.
Please apply with resume, cover letter and salary expectations to [email protected] by January 8, 2023, with ‘GIS Technician’ in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodation in the application process, or those requiring job postings in an alternate format, please advise via the email address indicated.
We thank all who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.